« Home | Northeast New Mexico II » | Northeast New Mexico » | Climbing » | Why We Homeschool » | Music Notation » | Charcoal » | Portrait Number Two » | Portrait Number One » | AVAYA 5420 » | Clock » 

9.16.2008 

Slick Rock Trail, Moab, Utah

Slick Rock is one of the preeminent mountain biking trails in North America. I've wanted to experience it since I took up the sport a decade ago. Despite all the hype, it surpassed my expectations. It is an extremely demanding trail from a cardiovascular and technical riding skills standpoint. The scenerey is surreal. The exposure is unsettling at first as you peer several hundred feet into the canyons. But the positive traction with the rock surfaces shores up confidence. This 12 mile loop can be ridden either direction. I chose the 'hard' direction and got all I bargained for.

The available literature speak to death on the trail - mostly this is due to heat exhaustion. Its difficult to imagine riding in the summer. it would take me at least 3 gallons of water to survive the loop.

For perspective in the photo below, note the rider in the lower left pushing her bike up the trail.

 
Posted by Picasa